Friday, April 10, 2015

2015 A to Z Challenge: I is for Income Tax





I'm delaying filing my income tax until the last minute...we owe a tidy sum over and above what has already been paid.  I've always done our taxes myself...well, Turbo Tax and I.  Then last year I got a notification and a bill from the IRS for taxes due.  I had managed to mess up on our 2012 taxes.  I went to an accountant to help me sort it out.  This year I just took the file with all my receipts directly to the accountant.  Whatever it costs, it's the price I pay for peace of mind.  There is a part of me that is relieved to hand the task off to someone else, and a part of me that is irritated that the process has become so complex and high stakes that I can't do it myself.  But, tomorrow I will write the check and send it off and forget all about income taxes until next year.

8 comments:

  1. I agree there has to be an easier,and I might add, fairer way to deal with taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine filed his taxes on Turbo Tax only to find out that that someone had stolen his identity and collected his refund.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so lucky to have the easiest of taxes to file, and they are done by an AARP volunteer at the Senior Center, filed electronically. I have enough taken out so that we get back a few dollars. Not much, but it's better than paying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a similar experience. I could still do my own taxes, and in fact often have to remind my accountant of some deductions, but the piece of mind having someone else prepare my taxes is one of the few luxuries in life I allow myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How appropriate! Many times I am a last minute filer but I filed early this year. Got a refund! I use Turbo Tax too....no prob so far. Retired here too.

    www.inspirationtolivewell.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used an accountant until three years ago. It was so expensive. Our son helps us. Scary when the Nazi IRS gets in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stopped years ago. I could not get a business line of credit because I did my personal taxes and my business taxes. The bank wanted an accountant. I never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are also fortunate to have simple filing. I have always done our taxes, even when we had enough deductions to itemize. Now I do them on line with Turbo Tax, fast and easy, and the the refund magically appears in our bank account.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails