Friday, January 20, 2017

Why I'm Marching


I'm going off the grid.   I'm giving up Facebook until after the inauguration, and I'm not turning on the news.  My replacement I-phone is stuck on a truck in an ice storm in the gorge.  I can't text until it is delivered. I'm worn down, and I want to live in the real world with my intelligent, compassionate, humane friends.  I believe that people are innately good and kind, but on social media I've seen too little of that lately.  

The results of the presidential election stunned me.  The cabinet appointments appalled me.  The promises to move back on climate change, health care, immigration, reproductive rights, and so many  other issues of importance frightened me.  I admit I've cried.  It feels like the sun has gone down and there is no promise of morning.

Social media has not helped.  The vehicle that let me reconnect with old friends, keep in touch with former co-workers after I retired, and even find a sister given up for adoption has also beaten me down.  The gloating, gleeful posts of Trump supports who will close Planned Parenthood and deny women access to reproductive health care, register Muslims like Nazi lackeys, dismantle the public education system, and deny refugees safe haven has made me anxious for the future of our country. 

Several weeks ago I decided to participate in the Women's March in Portland.  I asked a friend on Facebook if she wanted to go with me.  I didn't expect a positive response because we are political opposites, but we can usually have a conversation without disrespect.

Jann Rayner Tresham Ginger Walker Linkel, I'm going to the women's march in Portland on Saturday...want to march with us?
Chad N. Linkel Wish I was there. I'd love to beat the livin snot out of a flag burner.
LikeReply214 hrs
Jann Rayner Tresham ...and that is why women are marching. We are not going back to a time where white males could "beat the (sic) livin snot" out of them. This has nothing to do with flags and we're not burning them...although it is constitutionally protected speech.
LikeReply11 hrs
Chad N. Linkel Thats about what I expected you to say. Don't hurt yourself when you fall off your high 🐎.
LikeReply11 hrs
Ginger Walker Linkel Chad.... this is a friend. I respect and admire her, despite our differing opinions. Asking you to do the same out of respect for me.
LikeReply9 hrs
Chad N. Linkel Ugh. Fine.
LikeReply18 hrs
Ginger Walker Linkel Thank you, sweetie.
LikeReply16 hrs
Chad N. Linkel Just to be clear, if she wasn't your friend, If it wasn't your post, I'd have let her have it mom. Its only my upbringing and respect for you that this didn't turn ugly. 😉
LikeReply14 hrs
Ginger Walker Linkel And that is a small part of what I love about you.
LikeReply12 hrs

...and that was a relatively mild conversation on Facebook compared to some I have seen.  I'm tired of the hate, the ignorance, the attitude that now those of us who speak up will be made to pay.  

I will be walking at the Women's March with my college roommate.  I am walking because I want to see hundreds, maybe thousands, of women who believe in equality for all: women who will stand, be counted, and not be intimidated.  I don't want to go back to the era where my friends were afraid to step out of the closet, where women died at the hands of back alley butchers, where people with disabilities could not attend school.  I need to physically see that those people are out there.  I am walking to be counted, but I am also walking for myself...I need hope for the future.  I don't want to be alone.




11 comments:

  1. Jan, I said I would not march. But as the day arrives, I am feeling more and more compelled to go and participate in the march in Seattle. We have figured out a way to get to the march route. I'm pretty sure we will be there to be counted tomorrow morning.
    I feel as you do, but I am also morbidly curious - guess that's the only way to explain it, sort of like my abhorrence was watching a snake slither - to watch the proceedings today and stay informed with first hand experience.
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning, along with millions of other women and the good men who support them. God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be with you, albeit, in another place, Washington DC. There will also be hundreds of thousands across the world standing up against what is wrong. This is where we start and we must continue this activism from this day forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a safe trip coming and going, and that you find the validation and positive energy you're looking for in the march. Looking forward to reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do support your right to March. I respect you, and admire you. Please be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are three million or more women and men who will march or think in sympathy. It is about dignity. It is about fairness. It is about hope. Best wishes to you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are expecting thousands to show up here in Bellingham. Everyone I know is going. Our ladies' walk will meet at the usual time, 8:00am, a few blocks from City Hall, where the march begins. Those who are interested in getting in another mile as well as join in solidarity, will just walk over and listen to the speeches and MARCH! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obama's legacy can be summed up in two words. "Donald Trump."

    ReplyDelete
  9. We visited the Oregon coast and many were speaking about a tiny march they had in Astoria, Seaside and Tillamook..Good for them, Portland had a huge crowd we waved them on and I paid for someone to get to Portland to march and get home safely..I am vigilant against Donald J. Trump I cannot stand to call him a President..no I cannot not.. I vow to help women and people who need help and pray he doesn't deride social security and medicare and Medicaid because of the misery it will entail to all women and men in the USA..but if it comes to that I will try to find a way to help those toooo we get medicare and it will devastate our living a lot..Why does this billionaire think that the many who labored long in our great country not deserve social security and Medicaid and medicare, he is a big bully, dangerous days are upon us but that doesn't mean people cannot be kinder to their fellow man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was getting really discouraged about the toxic nature of online comments. But the women's marches have brought a new, emerging sense of community that we can build on. I need to put my thoughts into a blog, and I thank you for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go ladies! It was wonderful to see American women marching in response. Huge marches and all of them peaceful - a wonderful accomplishment. Here in Australia, Sydney and Melbourne had huge marches too. We will have to keep watch and continue to be active if we don't want our rights to disappear.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails