Tuesday, April 21, 2015

2015 A to Z Challenge: R is for Republican





R is for Republican.  I'm married to one.  I'm not sure how that happened.  When we met in college he didn't look or act like a Republican.  We were both against the war (Vietnam) and I'm pretty sure that he voted for Jimmy Carter.  We served in the Peace Corps...Republicans don't do that!

I was raised a Democrat.  My family supported the civil rights movement and boycotted grapes.  JFK was our hero.  The spouse's parents supported Nixon.  I didn't know that when I married him.

Early in our married life we looked like every other hippie couple in the 1970's.  I thought we were liberal.  I think the spouse's Republican roots were dormant.  Once he hit his 60's he became more conservative.  It doesn't help that he listens to Republican propaganda on the radio...and actually believes that FOX News is a legitimate news source.

I'm not looking forward to the presidential election.  There will be many months of bickering, but at least the spouse won't be driving my car.  I'll have a Hillary bumper sticker and the spouse wouldn't want anyone to think he was a supporter!

9 comments:

  1. I don't know what I'd do if my husband wasn't of the same political leaning as myself. It would be constant war! Good for you for sticking it out! One or both of you is taking the higher road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh! it also made me grateful that my spouse shared my political point of view. I really don't understand Republicans, even though I have a bunch of them in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s so funny. We live in an area where there is a large over 60 population. Most are republicans who collect the very social services that republicans seem to want to do away with. I don’t get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am a Democrat, but fortunately I'm married to one, too. How can anybody think Fox News is a good new source? I don't watch it myself, but hubby will go over now and then to watch, because he wants to know what they are saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two dear friends with whom I do not discuss politics, but I could not extend that courtesy to a spouse, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some Republicans who are very nice people who think and have ideas. Probably a few Democrats who are similar in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the same boat! My husband -- a former Berkeley radical no less -- has become more conservative with age and actually voted for Bush, but then Obama (because he couldn't stand Sarah Palin, even though he liked McCain), and is hoping the GOP comes up with a viable candidate this time around. We mostly don't discuss politics in the interest of domestic peace. My best female friend is an avid Republican mostly because her husband always has been and we take care not to air our political views and she changes the news channel from Fox to CNN when I visit and tells her husband "Please don't torture our dear friend with our political beliefs!" But I feel like a voice crying out in the desert here in Arizona where Democrats seem few. Fortunately, my brother and sister are liberal Democrats and we love to carry on via Skype, email or in person about current issues. I, too, remain puzzled that so many older people are Republicans and are, as far as I know, happily collecting their government benefits like Medicare and Social Security while supporting politicians who would take these away or significantly diminish them. I can understand a wealthy hedge fund manager supporting the GOP. But a struggling elderly person on a definitely fixed income? I respect the differences I see between my husband and me and my dear friend and me, but it's still hard to understand....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure sounds like it's going to be an interesting election year in your home! I quite understand. My husband and I are democratics in a predominantly republican town. You never know how the discussions at local gatherings are going to go. Makes life exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails