Friday, April 17, 2015

2015 A to Z Challenge: O is for Oprah



I used to have a TV in my office at school.  Students were dismissed at 2:30 and the staff contractual day ended at 3:00.  I was usually in my office catching up on paperwork until at least 5:00.  I got in the habit of turning on the TV at 4:00 and listening to the Oprah show.  She kept me company.  My friend Shawn and I always wanted to attending a taping of her show in Chicago, but we were never able to get tickets, and then the show ended production.

Last September Oprah was in Seattle with the "Life You Want Weekend."  Shawn and I bought tickets and headed for Seattle.

Here's Oprah so pleased to see me...


...and here's the gift that Oprah gave me.  Well, me and the other 15,000 of her closest friends at the event in Seattle.


It's Oprah's Chai tea.  Oprah didn't miss an opportunity to hawk her merchandise.

It was a fun weekend but perhaps more for the company of my friend than anything we learned from the presenters.  I've crossed Oprah off my bucket list.



9 comments:

  1. Sometimes fantasy is better than reality. I guess it would have been hard to give away a car to 15,000 people. Chai tea is nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a long time Oprah fan. I kind of lost interest at the end, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she was so excited to see you! And I smiled at your "uniform" which you wore to the event as well as all the rest of the time. Love it and can't wait to see it in person again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny. My mother was ADDICTED to Oprah for many years. I heard a lot about her without ever seeing a program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Oprah, except when she decides she is more than an entertainer. Smart lady, but still an entertainer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so funny about the chai tea and your comment. I guess nobody can promote Oprah as well as Oprah herself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oprah was a stand-up lady!

    Over from the A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got tired of all Oprah's self-help stuff. Most of it was just common sense. Apparently that is a rare commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting how you came to that conclusion after you finally went to see her. I used to think I would just love to see her show too. I think because she kept me company after a long day of being with high school students also while I either graded papers or regained my sanity. I did begin to tire of her before she went of the air. I think she became too involved in making a buck or something. I don't know what it was. Maybe the shine was gone after so many years.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails