Monday, April 13, 2015

2015 A to Z Challenge: L is for Loss






The theme of loss has played over and over in my head today.  Maybe I can stop perseverating on this topic if I write about it.  I visited a friend today at the hospital.  Her spouse was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  He started chemotherapy several weeks ago, but after one treatment the assault to his system created other medical problems that were life threatening.  He is now struggling to recover from a ruptured spleen and the resulting infection and get well enough to start chemotherapy again.  They can't cure pancreatic cancer.  The best they can hope for is to delay the inevitable.  

What can you say to a friend whose entire life has been turned upside down?  The future that they had planned in retirement is lost.  Their goals are clearly focused: live long enough to see the birth of a first grandchild, walk a daughter down the aisle, leave the hospital.  

My heart aches for their present and future losses.  

8 comments:

  1. My wife lost both her parents to this horrible disease. There is hope for early detection, apparently the only real defense. It makes me sad every time I hear of someone going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about this. It makes me wonder what I would do in the same situation and how I would handle it. My heart goes out to your friend and her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pancreatic cancer took my uncle. The time went by in a blur and then he was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post dredges up some thoughts.
    I can completely empathize with the couple, particularly your friend.
    Every day we have is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes there are no words, but being there can be a great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like DJan, it makes me wonder what I would do in this situation. and then I turn that thinking off because it is too dreadful. I hope your friends get what they need in order to find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're all in the midst of chaos; we just don't know it. Nor, can we worry about it. We do the best with the days we have and fight for those we might be able to expect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails