Thursday, April 2, 2015

2015 A to Z Challenge: B is for My Best Buys



All this month I am participating in the A to Z challenge. There will be a new post every day except Sundays.  I started yesterday with the letter A and today is B; I'll keep going until I reach Z.  Today's topic is my Best Buys of 2014.

One of the many great things about retirement is that we lead a simpler life than we did when we were employed.  We're unscheduled and relaxed.  We wear comfortable shoes.  Simple things bring me great pleasure and I am content.  I thought I would share with you the two best purchases that I made last year.

Attaining senior status is not all aches, pains, and wrinkles, although I've got plenty of those.  There are perks to being a senior and one of the best is the America the Beautiful Senior Pass from the U.S. National Park Service.


The lifetime pass costs $10.00 and must be purchased in person at a federal recreation site.  The pass gets you free admission to federal recreation sites for the pass owner and three adults!  It also gets you a 50% discount on camping fees at many federal parks.  US citizens and permanent residents aged 62 or older are eligible to purchase the pass.  The pass pays for itself the first time you use it.  We saved a lot of money using our "geezer pass" last summer on our road trip with the grandchildren that included numerous national parks.

Yellowstone in July...it snowed!
Geyser Basin in Yellowstone

The second great purchase last year makes me smile every time I use it.  


Look!  We need a new roll of toilet paper..



Lift up the bar, remove the old roll, and insert a new one..






...and I'm good to go!



No more spring loaded bar!  Where has this been all my life?  Definitely the best purchase of the year.


6 comments:

  1. Those senior park passes do come in handy. We have them for our state parks also. Hey I want one of those new fangled toilet paper thingees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few different toilet roll holders. There is no longer a need to get get the paper between the springs. Life has, indeed, become easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those senior passes are wonderful, aren't they? And I'm gonna look for one of those TP holders. Definitely an improvement. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little girls are keepers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see some stories of National Park trips--we would like to start since I get my pass this summer..a western area itinerary would be nice! I wonder if there is one on line somewhere??

    ReplyDelete
  6. My spouse and I are both 62 and we just came back from vacation. We were going to get one of those passes. We forgot, but we didn't go to any national parks - this time! Aargh. Maybe next time. I found this blog through A to Z, and have followed you. Not retired quite yet, but one day....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails