Sunday, August 19, 2012

Everything on the Internet is True





One of the unexpected rewards of starting this blog has been the people that I have met from all over the world.  I say "met" in the cyber sense of the word.  I've gotten to know so many creative, talented, and caring people through their blogs and the comments that they make on my blog.  I've only met one of my new friends in person.  Milt is a follower of my blog and writes a blog of his own.  He lives in the same small town that I do.  Last year I invited him to join a writing group that I belong to and we met face to face at a local used book store.  I think he was as apprehensive as I was...he brought his wife with him and I had my writing group to act as a human shield.  We were all relieved that he wasn't an ax murderer. 

Have you seen the State Farm commercial where the woman claims that "they can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true?"  She is dating a French model who she met on the Internet.  It's pretty funny. 


This fall I am going to spend a weekend with five female friends in a beautiful house on a lavender farm on Vashon Island. I've never actually met these women. I know them only through their blogs, but it feels like they are old friends. I know about their families and the challenges that they have faced. Several of us retired and started our blogs at the same time. We've shared laughs and loss. We seem to have a lot in common and we all write blogs. I'm excited to meet them, but also anxious. All they know about me is what I have chosen to share in my blog. Will I live up to their expectations? Oh, the anxiety!!!

So on an early fall weekend I will drive five hours  to find out if perception lives up to reality. I'm pretty sure that everything on the Internet is true. Bonjour!

12 comments:

  1. I am laughing as I read this, Nana... I am one of those women, and I must be the only one who is not worried about meeting all of you. Linda has confessed to some trepidation, and you do here, too. Not one of you is a stranger to me, and I am thrilled to have this opportunity to expand my understanding of you. Maybe it comes from having a big family (we are six siblings). In some ways, I know you better than I know some of them! We are going to have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually a man, nearly seven feet tall. I immigrated from Iceland the week before I started my blog. And I have gotten away with it for two and a half years now. How about that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time, how exciting to meet new friends through blogging~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with DJan, although my laughing erupted wildly when I got to Linda's comment! I am so excited about this new adventure, but a little fearful, too. I don't want to disappoint anyone. My daughter's both think it's "cute", and have reminded me about how I lectured them in the early days of "My Space" about giving out personal information, etc, etc. But, I drug my family halfway around the world, and we had dinner with a woman I met in blog land, who turned out to be everything I expected and more . . . (and not an ax murderer!)

    I'm really interested in meeting "Linda"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confident you're going to have a lot of fun. It's not something I would ever do because I'm not a joiner. I don't join book clubs, writing groups, knitting groups or anything else. I'm a loner but it sounds so exciting when I read other bloggers experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great idea and I am sure you will all have a great time - except for the long car trip. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may never make it Vashon Island because this man who says "she" is Linda is picking me up at the airport. I had not seen the State Farm commercial. It had me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm jealous! Wish I lived closer and could join you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a hoot, Jann! I tell already that you're going to have a very interesting time together. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't seen the commercial either, the video and your comments had me laughing as well. My blog is written with a 3" mini bear who lives quite an interesting life and he has so many fans who write to him that even I'm beginning to believe it's all real. But I never would have guessed about Linda Myers being from Iceland. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this where I tell about going to Boston and meeting another blogger?
    Before blogging, I was a denizen of bulletin boards. I've made friends with, and met, a number of folks from the Internet. So far all of them have been English speakers, though some talk kinda funny.

    BTW - the feed on the left says I came from Santa Rosa. I didn't even know I went to Santa Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always make me laugh, although Linda's comment took the cake with this post. Having already met her, I'm happy to learn now where that accent came from. :-)

    It didn't occur to me to be nervous about meeting you guys. I think we know each other in truer ways than we can know many of the people in our day to day lives. And if somehow our Vashon lavender farm retreat turns out to be a disaster (which I don't believe for a minute), at least we'll all have great blog posts to write afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails