Friday, April 17, 2015

2015 A to Z Challenge: N is for the Nineteenth Amendment




N is for the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.  That's the amendment that prohibits any United States citizen from being denied the right to vote on the basis of sex.  This amendment was ratified in 1920.  While we may have won the right to vote, women are still fighting for equal rights.  Women have yet to achieve pay equity, earning 78.3% of men's earnings.  Not a month goes by that I don't read about another challenge to reproductive freedom, a constant assault to whittle away a women's right to make her own decision about her health and body.  Women's rights are a topic I am passionate about.  I resent that women's options in employment, education, health, in just about anything can be limited by a paternalistic society that treats women as second class citizens.

Whew!  Glad I got that off my chest.  Rant over...

3 comments:

  1. There has been progress, but it is all too slow. One of my three daughters makes as much as my son. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you said is seconded by me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must do our job at the ballot box.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails