Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Baby Part Two



I first wrote this story four years ago, but I never shared it on my blog.  It is a secret that I held for too long to let it go easily.  Now is the time to tell it.

If you haven't read part 1, you can find it here.

I grew up in Southern California in a neighborhood of three bedroom, two bath single family homes in the foothills of the San Fernando Valley.  We didn't have attics, basements, or barns in our ranch-style homes, but we had good neighbors and lots of kids to play with on those long, hot and sunny summer days.  

I was a reader and the stories of my childhood were of daring youth who explored attics or abandoned buildings  and found interesting clues that led them to adventure and sometimes danger.

I spent a lot of unsupervised time at home.  I did a lot of exploring. While we didn't have an attic or barn, there were closets and cupboards to survey and investigate.  I found a shoebox of letters and documents hidden in my mother's closet.  I read the letters.  I remember going back on several occasions to reread because I kept thinking that I must have misunderstood what I had read.  Every time I read the documents I understood the same thing...my mother had given up a baby for adoption.

My mother died almost 10 years ago.  I never asked her about what I had found.  Years ago I told my brother, Leigh what I had read.  He didn't remember anything about it.  

Two years ago I finally talked to my father about what I remembered about "the baby,"  and he told me the rest of the story.

Later this week I'll share the story with you.

15 comments:

  1. I too loved to *explore* as a child. Once my friend and I left a picnic out in the country to wander off on our own. We found an abandoned house and barn... full of interesting items (drawers filled with old pics, dirty old trunks in the barn,etc.). Didn't occur to us that what we were doing was dangerous, but it certainly was fun. I remember to this day how fascinated I was with what had been left and still wonder at the story behind it.
    Waiting for the rest of your story too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Liar...you already know the ending! You enter the scene in Part 3!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow. I can't wait to read the rest of the story. To think you had to wait a lifetime to know the story breaks my heart. You held a secret for a very hard time. That could not have been easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything happens for a reason. This story has a happy ending...well I hope it will be happy. I'll tell you after Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You realize that while I'm writing this story I am not working on my writing goals! I think I'll wind up banging out a short story at the last minute. I'v still got my refuge camp stories to tell too.

      Delete
  5. OK. Later this week is tomorrow or Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part three is scheduled to post Friday at 7:00 AM and Part 4 will probably go up early Sunday. I'm still working on Part 4.

      Delete
  6. Okay, you've got my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know some of this story and it's sure fun to speculate about how it will all turn out. Sending you hugs and sure glad you're doing this, Jann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! You're doing a fabulous job of leading us on, Jann! It's fun to read little of the back story. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a searcher also and found things that weren't meant for my eyes. Your story, though, is so interesting and I am hoping that it has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails