Saturday, April 4, 2015

2015 A to Z Challenge: D is for Devil's Tower




All this month I will be participating in the A to Z challenge.  I will write a post  every day except Sundays.  Twenty-six posts, one for each letter of the alphabet, starting with "A" on April 1.  

Last summer the spouse and I took an extended road trip with our grandchildren in our RV from Oregon to South Dakota and back.  We marveled at Mount Rushmore.
Oh wait, that's the girls at Wall Drug...here's the picture of Mount Rushmore 

We camped in Yellowstone and woke up to snow on the ground (in June!).  This is Hunter playing in the snow in her pajamas and cowboy boots.

 We watched Old Faithful erupt right on schedule.


We outfitted the girls in cowboy boots in Cody, Wyoming.


But, today is the letter D, so I'm compelled to tell you about Devil's Tower National Monument in Wyoming.  Devil's Tower is our nation's first national monument, established by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906.  It rises dramatically 1,267 feet above the surrounding terrain in northeastern Wyoming.  We could see it from miles away and it seemed to get taller and taller as we drew closer.

Still miles away we stopped to take pictures.


This is the view from the parking lot.


We hiked up to the base of the monolith and saw these signs posted along the trail.  The monument is a sacred place to the Lakota and other tribes and they pray and worship there.


This picture taken closer to the base of the monolith gives you an idea of the rugged terrain and its size.


Before we visited this national monument all that I knew about it was that it was the mountain from Close Encounters.


We saw no aliens while we were there.












9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip (and cute granddaughters) you had. Although I have never been out to those parts, I would love to do it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also only knew about it from Close Encounters. Now I've seen it close up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. We went to Yellowstone when I was like 8. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good you are travelling with the granddaughters. Mine have become too old and too busy all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED seeing these pics! My favorite vacation trip is a trek we took in 2004 to Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower. And yes, we also got hooked into stopping at Wall Drug. What an "unusual" place that is! I think it's so wonderful that you traveled with the grandkids, what terrific memories they will have to take through life and tell their grandkids one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT pictures! I love that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Devil's Tower is so cool. Good for you for taking this challenge again. I loved seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devil's Tower is such a wonderful land form. We hiked around it and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting. So many things I did not know about this National Monument. What a fun trip with your Grands and the photos are priceless.
    I am visiting from the Co-Host AJ Lauer’s Team to welcome you to the 2015 Challenge. Hope the first week has been a good one for you. Keep up the good work.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal
    AtoZ 2015 Challenge
    Minion for AJ's wHooligans

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails