Monday, April 8, 2013

A-Z Challenge: G is For Gardening

 
G is For Gardening


Spring has finally arrived.  Our tulips are in bloom and the spouse mowed the lawn for the first time this year.  We've (and by we, I mean the spouse)  tilled the garden.  This morning I planted onion sets.  I've got seedlings of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in little pots in the dining room.  Every morning I set them outside to get some sun and bring them back inside in late afternoon.  I always worry when I plant the seeds that nothing will grow and it is still a miracle to me that I manage to actually germinate seeds and create little plants.

This year we are planning a large garden.  We learned from our experience last year and are planting wider rows and staggering our planting schedule so that we will have plants ready to harvest at different times.  We're planting more onions and less tomatoes.

In a few weeks we will begin to harvest lettuce for our salads and for the next five months I won't need to buy it at the grocery store.  I'm so happy that spring is here.

7 comments:

  1. I finally hired a young man to help me dig out my garden, and now I can begin to plant my OWN stuff in it, Nana. I think gardening is a lot more work than I anticipated, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems you two have tucked into retirement in a big way. Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with how much you've learned as a new Gardner. Already staggering planting s to have produce longer, very good. I look forward to enjoying your garden since I won't have one. I hope you will post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're ahead of me! I planted peas and fava and lettuces, but nothing is ready to harvest yet. I look forward to my own salad and other greens, but I could never have tomatoes out here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I share your sentiment Jann! And I wish I lived close enough to come raid your garden, my mouth is watering just thinking about all those fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We figured out last year that all the lettuce shouldn't get planted on the same day. Now I've got notes on my calendar every three weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails