Saturday, April 13, 2013

A to Z Challenge: L Is For Learning

 
L Is For Learning

When I was working I was constantly learning new things. Whether I liked it or not, there was always something new. A new improved way of doing something that had always been done, or a new routine to incorporate into the myriad of routine routines that filled my day.  Training days were built into our calendar.  I regularly attended conferences and workshops.  I kept on top of the game and enjoyed sharing all the tricks of the trade that I had learned with my coworkers.  Then I retired…

I am no longer at the top of my game.  I was surprised at how quickly I fell behind in the use of technology.  The technology has just gotten so much better in the three years since I retired.  I was responsible for purchasing the first three smart boards in our school district, and now I need the assistance of an 8th grader to turn one on!  One of the things I enjoy about substituting on an irregular basis is the opportunity to learn.  The students freely share their knowledge with me.  I think they like being the experts.  I learned how to text from an expert high school student.

Living in a rural community I don't have access to a lot of organized learning opportunities.  As I read the blogs of my peer group I am envious of the workshops and classes available in metropolitan areas.  But the lack of organized instruction is not preventing me from exposure to new ideas.  The Internet has filled the void for me.  I am learning things from Pinterest that I never even knew I needed to know.  Want to know how to grow cucumbers, clean your floors, or use social media to promote your blog?  These are all topics that I read about last week on Pinterest.  (Okay, I wasn’t really all that interested in cleaning my floors, but the floor cleaner with all natural ingredients does a great job and it’s cheap.) 

I ran across a great quote from Henry Ford:

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.” -Henry Ford

It doesn't matter how old we are, or how we learn, it's the joy of learning that keeps us relevant.

7 comments:

  1. Very good post and so true. I think about Pinterest but am reluctant to try it since I've gotten so disgusted with Facebook. I just about live on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you and I retired from teaching about the same time. After 21 years, I was very much ready to do something else. Sure have enjoyed the past three years, and hope to continue to learn, learn, learn. I would never substitute teach, though, especially in our rough and tumble district. I do get highly annoyed with articles and news pieces that indicate senior citizens are tech illiterate. Many of us know more than some of the younger people, especially those of us who taught it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked out Pinterest a couple of weeks ago, looking for a nontoxic way to kill the moss in our driveway. Found something! But I haven't been back yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am busy learning some very esoteric tricks of how to get into a skydiving formation cleanly and quickly. Does that count? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that quote!! I'm a member of the A-Z team just checking in. Glad to see that everything is going smoothly for you during the Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinterest? Now, I'm learning something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's that old saying that goes "You learn something new every day" and I like to believe its true. It doesn't matter who you learn it from or how the lesson is presented because its the learning that really counts. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails