Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 1: A to Z Challenge


Today's post is brought to you by the letter A.  

I signed up for this A to Z Challenge and now I'm struggling to find inspiration in the alphabet.

Are you ever surprised by what triggers memories?   I googled "things that start with A" and got a list of words.  The word that jumped out at me was aluminium.  I had a flash memory of my mother and aluminium foil.  When I was growing up there was always a stash of used aluminum foil in our kitchen.  My mother washed it and used it over and over again.  When I left home and started doing my own shopping I was surprised to find that aluminium foil was not a priceless commodity.  My mother died six years ago, yet I still carry her with me.  To this day I feel guilty everytime I toss foil in the trash. 



6 comments:

  1. Your mother was thrifty! I have never re-used it, but now I wonder why not? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the same hit every time I throw away a plastic bag, which my mom reused until they got holes. We didn't buy aluminum foil (which we called tin foil) because it was too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother uses aluminum foil excessively, and my sister always reasons that it's because she grew up during the Great Depression, when scrap metal WAS a priceless commodity. How funny that it seems to be a generational thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother washed and reused and washed and reused. My mother just washed and reused. One extra set of wrinkles seemed to be her limit. But, she saved every mismatched butter container until a separate room of drawers would be required to house them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know, I had forgotten that my mum also did this and still does I think, she use to wash and reuse foil and fold it neatly and keep it in a drawer! when I was doing microbiology I use to tell her off as it would be breeding germs but now I am a mother, and realised money is not endless, the amount of things I do to save money or things I never use to think my mum should do! Great memory

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to being raised by a grandmother born in the latter 1800s, I still can't toss aluminum foil (we called it tin foil, too) until I've reused it several times. People ask how I know when it's no longer reusable. I can't answer that; it's just one of those things you "know" when the time comes. Strange, ain't it, I'm still using her depression era habits?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails