Saturday, April 20, 2013

A to Z Challenge: R Is For Recycle, Reuse, Retread

R Is For Recycle

In the interest of conservation (that's conserving my energy for letters S to Z), I've recycled and reworked a post from my early days of blogging.  It was fun to go back and reread some of those early entries.





Originally published August 23, 2010 on http://plentifulsufficiency.blogspot.com

School Shoes
 
 
 
In the late 70's the spouse and I served two years in the Peace Corps in Nicaragua. In so many ways that experience has impacted how we live our lives today. We went to Nicaragua as a twenty something married couple, and we came home a family, forever changed by our experiences. Our daughter, Sarah, was born while we were there.

We lived in a dusty little town in the north, El Jicaro. The spouse worked for El Banco National de Nicaragua and I taught English at the local middle school. Our first week in our new home we met Pedro, a skinny, barefoot kid who lived across the road. He and his even smaller, skinnier little brother hung around our house hoping to do chores and earn some money. We usually had something for Pedro to do. He knew where to buy the best tortillas, or when a cow would be slaughtered, or who had fresh eggs for sale. Soon his mother was doing our laundry and Pedro was our regular errand boy. One day we asked him what he was going to do with his money.

"I'm saving up to buy Rolters" he told us.

We frantically searched through our Spanish-English dictionary for "rolter."

"What are rolters?" we asked him.

"They are the best," he said "the best shoes. I want shoes for school."

Several weeks later he showed up at our door with a big grin, wearing his usual short pants with the ragged hem and a thread-bare T-shirt, but this time his outfit was accessorized with new shiny black leather-like oxfords.

"Look," he said "look at my Rolters."

We complemented him excessively on his Rolters. We had never seen a finer pair of shoes, we told him. From then on we rarely saw Pedro without his Rolters. They were his first ever pair of shoes.

I was reminded of Pedro this week when I took my granddaughter to buy shoes. We went from store to store fighting the crowds of back-to-school shoppers until we found shoes that were the perfect fit. She wore them out of the store, a big grin on her face, dancing happily. They are her first ever pair of school shoes; she starts kindergarten tomorrow.

I remembered Pedro and his Rolters and am grateful that my granddaughter will be wearing new shoes to kindergarten. It's a big step for a little girl.


The pink Chuck Taylor's were too big!




But the black strappy ones were just right
 
Update:  Megan is in second grade now and buying back to school shoes with Nana has become a tradition. This year we bought shoes for both Megan and her little sister.  Hunter started kindergarten this year.

7 comments:

  1. Pedro will probably never forget you and hubby allowing him to earn money for his first ever pair of shoes. I'd wager that's quite a memorable event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When reading your post, of course, I immediately thought about how much we take for granted. When I was a kid, we were quite poor, but we never had to go without shoes.
    It was so interesting to read about what it was like to be in the Peace Corps in a dusty little town in Nicaragua.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you your Peace Corps service, Nana. But even more, I envy you the lovely grandchildren you have. Lucky girl to have a Nana like you! I hope she appreciates you as much as I do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listening to you and also my cousin who served in the Peace Corps I know that the experience was a life changing one. Your encounter with Pedro changed his and your lives. My cousin ended up adopting a baby girl from San Salvador... who now has a son of her own and my cousin's first grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have told your granddaughters about Pedro and about Nicarauga. Very good things to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice story. Thank you for sharing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! What is it about new shoes that makes people so happy? I remember when I was in kindergarten anyone who came to school with a new pair of shoes got to walk around the room while we all sang a song about new shoes. Now that I reflect on that tradition I wonder how terrible it must have made children who couldn't afford new shoes feel?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails