Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A To Z Challenge: O Is For Oregon


O Is For Oregon
 
Oregon is where I live, in the north eastern part of the state.  People think of Oregon as wet and green, but I live on the dry side of the state.  It gets cold in the winter, but the days are usually sunny.  When we get snow it usually only sticks around for a few days...by the time we're tired of dealing with snow, it's gone.  Spring is windy and summer is hot.  I am blessed to live in a beautiful state.  
 
This is where I live...
 
The view from my backyard looking across the river to Hermiston Butte.
 
 
Here's a view of the backyard looking down to the Umatilla River taken this winter when we had frost.
 

 
 
Just east of Hermiston (about 30 miles) are the Blue Mountains.  This is where we took our granddaughters camping and fishing last summer.
 
 
 
 
Oregon has a lot of public lands.  The picture below is Hat Rock State Park on the Columbia River just a few miles from our house.
 
 
Wide open spaces and beautiful sunsets.  I love that we have uninterrupted vistas.
 
 
I like to travel and enjoy visiting the big city, but I am always happy to come home. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



10 comments:

  1. We do live in a beautiful part of the country, don't we, Nana? I love Bellingham but sometimes could do without quite so much rain. So glad you decided to do this challenge and will be sorry when it's over and I won't be visiting you quite as often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oregon is such a beautiful state. I hope that one day I will have another chance to explore more of it. Your part of the world looks absolutely enchanging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, the many faces of our green state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, breathtaking! I must get to Oregon one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely place to live! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pics, Jann! Part of what I love, as well. By the way, would you consider sharing the location of the camping site? Not sure I recognize it, and it looks like paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures! I lived in Portland for 5 years and you are right most people that have never lived in the state probably think the rest of the state has similar weather. One thing I really loved about living in Portland (and there were many) was how varied the weather, geography, etc. would be if you drove a couple of hours in any direction. And most everywhere was so beautiful. Now I'm back in Minnesota where the rest of my family lives. Nature is primarily lakes and trees and who knows if we'll ever see summer. It's supposed to snow again tomorrow!

    Donna at Donna's New Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord that looks peaceful. Can I live there too?

    Happy A to Z blogging.
    pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!
    Was looking @ recent snow pics from Hermiston when your Umatilla R. pic popped up.I didn;t need to read the caption cause I knew exactly where & what is across the river from you. OXBOW !! Perhaps you could answer some questions about the Oxbow property.
    I'm Executive Director of the Tour Of Knowledge(TOK) a Hermiston based citizen group involved w/natural resources. . We adopted Oxbow last spring ,through the Adopt-A-River program that both SOLVE & Columbia Riverkeeper offer. Our timing couldn't have been better. The Oxbow Trail is under construction, the Umatilla Basin Watershed Council is getting ready to move forward with their 7,000 tree reforestation project.The Bureau of Reclamation is responsible for restoring ,protecting and preserving Oxbow for the purpose of enhancing fish habitat.
    I'm reading everything I can find that's related to Oxbow & it's history
    From your vantage point( I've stood on the river bank across from your place many times) I'm sure you've witnessed "nature" at it's best & worse.
    After retiring. I dabbled in local politics ,got bored , realized that natural resources, specifically "water issues" is much more important( than pissing off the city council) so I talked to a couple of friends & we came up with a idea that morphed into the TOK.
    Your picture of the Hermiston Butte is fantastic. I've gotten a couple of good sunset photos from Oxbow but yours puts mine to shame. I would like very much to talk to you either via email, phone or in person . You can find my contact info on the TOK Facebook pg. I'm a little behind on posting what we've been doing ......I'd rather be down on Oxbow.
    I want to thank you for sharing your great pics and wonderful view.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails