Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Z Is For Zip Line

All this month I am participating in the A to Z Challenge.  Today's letter is...


In February the spouse and I took a cruise through the Panama Canal.  Along the way we stopped at various ports in Mexico,Costa Rica, and Columbia.  

The spouse and I lived in Costa Rica for three months when we were in training for the Peace Corps. Our training center was a coffee farm outside of San Jose and our classrooms were converted chicken coops.  We had enjoyed our time in Costa Rica and were looking forward to seeing what had changed in the thirty plus years since we were last there.  We found the people just as friendly as we remembered and the country much more modern, but that might be because we were visiting tourist hot spots!

We went to a rain forest preserve to zip-line.  We didn't see much wildlife, no monkeys in the trees, but we did see a kotimundi in the bushes.  There were 18 people in our group from the ship and the spouse and I were probably the youngest participants.  We rode a gondola to the top of the hill through the rain forest.
That green and yellow thing is the gondola going down the mountain.

At the top we rode a series of zip-lines down to the bottom.  Here's the spouse ready to zip!



At the end of each zip-line we hiked to the next line.



One of the members of our group cut her hand when she grabbed the cable.  That backed up the line for awhile and it was HOT!  I found a shady spot on the trail to sit out the wait.

And then I zipped to the bottom...



I actually have a short video of me on the zip-line, but Blogger isn't uploading it.  Trust me...it was pretty cool!

...and this brings us to the end of the A to Z Challenge!  This is the second year I have managed to finish the challenge.  I will be back to my regular/irregular postings.  Thanks for joining me as I worked my way through the alphabet and thanks to the A to Z organizers who created this opportunity.  Let's do it again next April!




15 comments:

  1. Costa Rico looks beautiful. It must have been neat to zip line through a rain forrest.
    I enjoyed your posts during the challenge. Thanks for stopping by my blog regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone I know who goes to Costa Rica loves it and all enjoy their rides on the zip lines. It certainly must be a prosperous business.

    Congratulations on completing the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for paying my blog a visit!
    It must have been nostalgic for you to go back to Costa Rica. And zip-liningl Very adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no reason you have to stop writing, just because April is over! I could use some more pictures of those beautiful grands, whom you will be hosting this summer. Please? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cool things other folks do so I don't have to. Zip lining, as well as A to Z-ing. Well done, all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zippity doo da! You're done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that alphabet thing just zipped right along! Lots of fun posts there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're my hero! I look at those zip lines and think No Way! And I agree with DJan, keep those pics of the grandkids coming, they brighten the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The zip line looks very zesty; and contratz. to you for finishing the alphabet! What'z nezt?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wheeeeee

    That’s actually very brave of you, I think I’d probably back down the hill on my bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Jann, I never knew what zip-lining was! Thanks for not only telling us but showing us! I fear heights and so I probably wouldn't have done this. How brave of you.

    And those chicken coops you lived in which training for the Peace Corps--well, during World War II my mom and dad and brother lived in a refurbished chicken coop when my dad worked at a munitions factory in Kansas. There was so little housing that everything was being converted to homes. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, it looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting experience. Congratulations on finishing another A to Z. And thanks for Blitzing Tossing It Out this week.

    I'm now following your blog!

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails