Sunday, February 28, 2010

Two Month Anniversary

On January 3, 2010 I made my first ever blog post. At the beginning of the year I made a commitment to myself to blog for at least two months. I started enthusiastically. There was a lot to learn. I was excited when I figured out how to put a counter on the site. I checked frequently to see if anyone visited. I was the most frequent visitor, but slowly others started to drop by. I spent a lot of time looking at other blogs and I left comments with my blog address. Then one day I got a comment on my blog and soon I had a couple of followers!!! My non-blogging friends didn’t understand what I was so excited about. What is a follower and why would anyone want one?


I had lots of ideas about what to write, at least for the first two weeks. I started another blog with a theme, as opposed to this one where I tend to jump from one idea to another. Midway through my two months I had a bout of writer’s block. I explored some of the sites that have suggested topics and I participated in a meme.

At one point I was ready to give up, but a commitment is a commitment. Now I find myself taking mental notes of every daily incident and thinking “Oh, I can blog about that.” I’m constantly writing in my head, although it’s still a challenge to actually get all those thoughts down on paper

So what have I learned from blogging? I have rediscovered my love of writing. Writing about some of the challenges of retiring has been therapeutic. I have revisited and analyzed experiences and, for the most part, put them behind me. Writing has allowed me to gain some perspective and let go of some haunting memories.   I've learn from my mistakes. Blogging has also allowed me to celebrate what's important to me.

I have so enjoyed the comments of those who have visited my blogs. I’m thrilled that others are reading my words, and some people are enjoying them! Thank you so much to those of you who have found my blog and are supporting me in this adventure. I think I’m going to continue. There’s still a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails