Friday, November 26, 2010

Nana Comes to Terms With Never Owning a Barbie



When I was a kid I remember really wanting a Barbie. My budget minded mother bought me a cheaper knock off.  It was a "Jan" doll.  Yeah, my name is Jann, but I still lusted after a real Barbie like my friends had.  With my Jan doll I had a little pink metal trunk, complete with tiny plastic hangers, to keep her clothes in. It even had a drawer to hold those miniature plastic shoes and accessories.

I don't think I ever owned a real Barbie. I've made up for it by over-indulging my granddaughters.  Much to their father’s dismay, they have naked Barbies all over their house. For some reason Barbie just can't seem to keep her clothes on. Occasionally we find her unclothed in a compromising position with one of the princesses: Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or Tiana, to name just a few of her conquests.  That Barbie gets around. 







In my last Bag of Crap from Woot! I got a Brother in Arms figure.
For Thanksgiving we're going to visit the granddaughters and I’m taking the Brother in Arms. I think it's time that Barbie had a manly influence in the house!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I've done the same with my grandchild. We do get to spoil them, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a Ginny doll as a youngster. She didn't have a Barbie figure, but I was too old to want one by the time they became popular, I guess. Funny what we remember from our childhood years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a barbie in the garden shed, but the summer wasn't good enough to bother getting it out.

    Oh, you mean a Barbie doll! I didn't have one of those either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, like DJan,had a Ginny doll. Does this date us???? I was much beyond dolls when Barbie came out, but I bought them for my daughters who never seemed to have as much fun with them as my sis and I had with Ginny.

    The granddaughters have plenty of Barbies that they have acquired from me and others. They prefer that ones that belonged to their moms or aunts. Funny how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had five Ginnie dolls. I remember my mother making clothes for them, which I never appreciated as much as the ones bought from the store. I had a yard sale many years ago to get rid of the box of Ginnies and clothes. I know someone got a fabulous deal.

    My granddaughters like Polly Pocket dolls - thousands of tiny parts waiting for the vacuum to suck them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you TRIED getting clothes on a Barbie?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when the neighbor girl got a Barbie the first year, and I couldn't imagine being interested in it. I stuck with the stuffed animals. Still do. But I had aunts who tried to ply me with dolls. Whatever they were trying to improve in me didn't take.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heehee...My sister & I had one Barbie as little kids, because my mom had them when she was little, but they had changed quite a bit by the time we got to them. Her hips were definitely no longer wide enough to support the front of her and she just rode around in a pink convertible with Ken not really doing anything (hey, it was the late 70's, now I can guess what she & Ken were doing but at 8 I had no clue). I never got another Barbie once I cut all her hair off and went right back to playing with trucks and teddy bears!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope Ken doesn't mind the competition.

    Did your Jan doll have a boyfriend?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never heard of Jann! : )

    And I hope you don't get weird doll fetishists showing up at your blog to look at the photo with the post!1

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had Cindy, Barbie was too skinny, Cindy was more normal! I just bought my brother's girlfriend's daughter a Barbie with 3 little dogs for Christmas. Perhaps I did miss out and am compensating now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails