Wednesday, November 3, 2010

WTF Wednesday: Halloween Pimps & Hos

WTF Wednesday is a semi-regular feature of this blog.  It documents the things that have made me pause, slap my forehead and say "What the f**k!"  Well, that and I just like saying WTF.  I'm retired.  I don't have to watch what I say anymore.  I'm not any one's role model.

 



I spent Halloween in Austin, Texas with my granddaughters.  At three and five they anticipate in each holiday activity with such joy.  They had a hard time waiting for it to get dark for trick or treating.


The hardest part is waiting for it to get dark!

Still waiting...


WHEN is it going to be dark?
  When the sun finally set we circled the neighborhood, ringing bells and remembering to say "Trick or treat," and sometimes remembering without prompting to say "Thank you, Happy Halloween!"  The girls went to about a dozen houses and were thrilled with their haul of candy.  We were back home and had them in jammies and in bed at their regular bedtime.

But the knocks on our door continued, and I got to see what the rest of the neighborhood was wearing for Halloween.  That's when I said "WTF!" 

When did it become appropriate to dress pre-teens and children as pimps and hos?  There were at least three pre-teen boys dressed as pimps and several pre-teen girls in whorish costume.  I get that a high school aged kid might find it funny to dress as a pimp, but a pre-teen?  Some nine year old's mother had to think "Gee, wouldn't Junior be cute as a pimp" and then drive to K-mart to buy the costume.  What does it say about a parent who would think this type of costume is suitable?  I can't imagine a parent saying to a little girl "Honey, why don't you be a whore this Halloween," or to a son "Junior, why not portray an exploiter of women for Halloween."


All I can say is "What the f**k!"  and be grateful that the granddaughters still want to be princesses.



4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! What is happening out there??? I cannot imagine what the parents are thinking. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about this. It is pretty interesting out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hear it for princesses.

    Very glad I'm grown up and so are my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary, how do you even explain what a pimp or a whore is if the kid likes the costume?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails