Thursday, January 19, 2012

To Hell With Frugality

Megan



 
I haven't seen my grandchildren since Thanksgiving.  We stayed home in Oregon this December and they spent the holidays with their parents and other grandparents in Texas.  I plan to go to Austin to visit them during their spring break in March.  

I talk to them on the phone a few times a week.  Megan's first question is always "When are you coming, Nana?"  Last week I told her I needed to check my calendar and talk to her mom to decide on a good time.  On Sunday her first question was, "Nana, did you check your calendar?"

I hadn't checked my calendar.  Having just paid  December bills, I had vowed to cut back on extravagances.  Flying to Texas every eight weeks is an extravagance.  I'm going to Italy with my daughter in April...another extravagance.  But then on the phone with my daughter I hear those little voices chanting in the background, "I wanna talk to Nana, I wanna talk to Nana."  So today when Megan asked "When are you coming Nana?"  I told her I was coming next weekend. 

Life is too short to say no to grandchildren!

17 comments:

  1. Goodness Nana, what a drop-dead gorgeous little girl - isn't she a stunner? Awww, out of the mouths of babes, eh? They obviously worship time spent with you as much as you long to be with them - you go for it, yes, you are right, life is far too short to deny these precious pleasures. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are going to visit her. I also agree that life is too short not to see your grandkids now and then, they grow up so fast! Take pictures and share them with me, okay? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, that's a big part of why we moved here from Texas., grandson is here. I'm not at all sure I would have moved from Oregon to Texas. That might have taken more than grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandchildren are not an extravagance; therefore, neither is visiting them. I think Confucius wrote that. They are the prettiest little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made a wise decision. I wish I had grandchildren to visit. Hug yours for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course! Besides, they are only little for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! Have a fantastic time on your visit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right decision!! i think I'll go visit mine. They are so busy but they are only an hour and a half away. I can go and just watch them be busy. My blog is for them eventually. Everyday I feel like I'm writing it for them to read someday. Have fun and be safe. Texas is just plain fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's nice 1NANA. You have fun with those children! - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy those precious grandchildren! How sweet hearing those cut voices asking for you in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy those precious grandchildren! How sweet hearing those cut voices asking for you in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you! Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made the best decision! Life is too dang short. It's only money, but grandkids don't stay little and wanting you around forever!! (I remember being a grandchild!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, good for you! You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! By now you are probably already with the grandchildren. I agree. Life is too short and those grandchildren grow-up way too fast. Hug them while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are other ways to save money. If you pass on spending time with the grands, that can never be made up for. Just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails