Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Internet Changes My Life


Last week my washer started leaking water. My husband said “You really need to buy a new washer.” I like shopping for washing machines about as much as I like going to the dentist or the gynecologist. I can think of a lot of ways to spend money that would be more exciting. On the other hand, the last washer and dryer lasted for more than twenty years, so I won’t have to repeat this shopping experience anytime soon.

So I went to Sears and $1,800.00 later, the washer and dryer are being delivered next Wednesday.

Then my husband says “As long as we’re moving out the old washer and dryer, we should replace the floor.”

So I have to venture out into the world again to the flooring store which is about as enjoyable as an ingrown toenail.  I made a selection and arranged for delivery. The installers showed up the following morning and had the new floor installed in a couple of hours. And once I saw the new floor, I thought we really should paint before we install the new washer and dryer. So, out I went once more to pick up paint samples.

I do not have a gay friend to help me pick out paint colors. In rural Eastern Oregon, they are a rare breed. I’ve been on the waiting list for a gay best friend for years and the décor in my house clearly illustrates that I am decorating deficient. I purchased sample colors in various shades of beige/tan and then I painted test strips on the laundry room walls.

I heard my husband laughing in the office and went to get his opinion on the colors. He is not noted for his color sense, but I need his opinion so that the final choice will not be my fault when it turns out to be hideous. I like to be able to say, “I wanted Spring Fawn, but you told me that Cinnamon Toast was a warmer color.”

He was sitting in front of the computer laughing out loud. “Come here, you’ve got to see this.”

He found a site called People of Walmart and it’s candid photos of people shopping at Walmart. Click on the link below and you’ll see why he was laughing.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Once he stops laughing, he votes for Crushed Peanut which is close enough to Dapper Tan that he’ll think it’s his fault if it’s hideous. I was ready to head out the door to purchase paint when I remembered the people of Walmart. My paint splattered cotton jersey pants and 3XL T-shirt from a Norwegian cruise line accessorized with a green Nike baseball hat might just qualify me for the photo lineup.

I know the internet has changed a lot about how we shop, but now I’m combing my hair and changing clothes before I venture into the world.  All the more reason to be a recluse.

8 comments:

  1. I can remember the day when my grandmother didn't leave the house without hat and gloves and most men, except laborers wore coat and tie.
    That all changed well before the Internet.
    that's not to say that People of Walmart isn't a wakeup call for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. Another shop to avoid if I don't want to have to dress up. This reminds me of a story in the UK recently about supermarkets refusing to let people in dressed in their pyjamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, videos and photographs everywhere! I know the feeling of starting with one thing and ending up adding more tasks to complete the first one. We are doing bathrooms for the very same reason: one thing needed replacement, putting everything else on parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! Thanks for stopping by my blog and posting a comment. It led me to yours, and that's a good thing! BTW, I take great pride in having never been to a Walmart (and it's not because I'm camera-shy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He or she had to have lost a bet. Ive seen poodles with less color and the alternating High lows? Must have bet on the Cavs.
    Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally stealing this link. Once I make sure I'm not in any of the photos.

    So how did the redecorating project turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How true! That site is hilarious! One more reason to look in the mirror before I go out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. J.... I can't believe you got me looking at Wal Mart photos. It is amazing. I remember the day my grandmother made my sister and me wear our confirmations dresses and hats to go visit the capitol buildings in Salem. I've sunk a long way since that day. your daisy neighbor

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails