"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves."
~ C.G. Jung
Which got me to thinking about all of the really trivial things that irritate me. Here's a short list in no particular order:
- Getting mayonnaise or pickles on my hamburger when I specifically ordered "plain, with nothing on it."
- Drivers going 30 in a 45 zone...or actually anyone going too slow when faster is allowed.
- Speeding in a school zone.
- People with 15 items in the 10 item or less speed checkout. Yes, I'll even let you count those three cans of soup as one soup item but a head of lettuce, three tomatoes, and a sack of potatoes doesn't count as one vegetable!
- Waiting until you get to the front of a long line before thinking about what you might want to order.
- Waiting until the checker has finished scanning and bagging your order before you start to search in your over-stuffed purse for a checkbook and a pen. Yes, I know the total doesn't come up until the end, but you could fill in the date and store name and sign the @#$% check!
- Clipping your nails in a public place...gross!
- Using racial, ethnic, or homophobic slurs. I guess this one doesn't really qualify as trivial.
- The Tea Party movement...those people scare me!
- Small print. Why have a business card if you're printing your email and phone number in script so small that I need my glasses to read it? Yes, your logo is lovely, but I'd rather you use the space to make the type LARGER!
- People who spit on the ground. I don't care if it's the sidewalk, a parking lot or a dirt field. Other people will walk there, some with bare feet and it's gross.
- People who "exercise" their dogs on school playgrounds. Some of them even fail to pick up after their pooches. Our elementary schools have beautiful grass playgrounds. Small children roll in the grass. I hate to think of their little faces buried in the ground where a dog just whizzed.
- The self-righteous attitude of the religious right. It's okay with me that you practice any odd rituals that you please, but please stop condemning to hell those who do it differently.
- Gossip...okay, maybe I have a love/hate relationship with this one!
- Slow Internet...Salt Lake City Airport has signs all over extolling their free Internet access, but the connection is so slow and inconsistent that I gave up trying to update my blog.
I hate to admit that I see a pattern. I'm impatient and want every process to work efficiently, from supermarket checkout to ordering fast food, and to my Internet connection. I want people to be considerate of others, not just themselves, and respect our differences.
I also know that I probably have a blind spot in assessing myself...self-awareness is probably not one of my strengths!
Thanks Uncle Skip for providing me the inspiration for this post. He really has the best quotes over on his blog.
What really irritates you about others?
But wait, there's more...how about loud music interrupting the peace and quiet of a beautiful day at the park, or people who go on, and on, and on...