Thursday, May 28, 2015

Life as a Lifeboat Museum Host



Port Orford Lifeboat Museum

We are starting our final week at the Port Orford Lifeboat Museum and have fallen into a routine, but one quite different from when we are home.  The spouse is fishing, or talking fishing, or fiddling with his fishing stuff every day.  He has finally cracked the code for catching surf perch and will show anyone who expresses any interest the pictures of his dead fish on his iPhone   We "work" four days a week, Thursday through Sunday.  I've been at the museum today for four hours and we've had four visitors...and made $3.00 in donations and $5.00 in dogtag sales.  I've caught up on email and Facebook since we don't have wifi at our campsite.  The "job" gives us plenty of time to feed our cyber addiction.

We took a road trip to California to see the redwoods on our time off.  They are beautiful, as is the scenery along the coastline, but the best part of the trip was staying one night in a hotel and taking a shower in a full sized shower.  I could actually raised my arms above my head to wash my hair without having to tuck in my elbows.  We're getting along fine in our 5th wheel trailer; it seems spacious after our motorhome, but I do miss having a bathroom I can turn around in.





Last weekend Indians gathered at the park where we are camped to bless the site and launch new cedar canoes.  They have a salmon feed every year at the park that was once a Native American campsite.  They drummed and chanted around a fire.  I was reminded again that I had stepped out of my routine. 



This volunteer assignment is like putting our life on hold.  All our regular chores and responsibilities are set aside.  We have no routine to follow.  We didn't forward our mail.  Most of our bills are paid automatically...and those that aren't will just have to wait until we get home.  We're in suspended animation.  We're forced to shop and eat in new places.  There is nothing familiar here.  On our trip to California we stopped at Taco Bell for lunch...I hate to admit that I felt at home.  For creatures of habit, this adventure is a challenge, one that we are enjoying but, nevertheless, a challenge.

As I paddled my kayak on the lake yesterday I was smiling.  I could hear the ocean waves breaking on the shore just over the dune.  I paddled along a patch of reeds close to shore and made eye contact with an egret.  He watched me as I silently floated by.  I am an intruder in this place, but the locals don't seem to mind my incursion into their territory.

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place to be. And what a great break from your routine as well. You are the only person I know who is just as busy in "retirement" as you are working. I also smile to see you are still in your uniform. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I need to update my uniform wardrobe! I notice that I'm wearing the same thing in most photos. I do have numerous sets of the same outfit. Maybe next year I should switch to navy and white just for a change.

      Delete
  2. I keep thinking how my mom would have embraced your volunteering stint. Except the kayaking, I guess. She was up for any adventure and made it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I bet she would also have enjoyed kayaking. It is so quiet and relaxing...just me and the kayak and nature.

      Delete
  3. Good to see you are still enjoying your volunteering and playing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, What's not to love about having our own private beach? I miss nightly news but I can catch up when we get home. This place is so beautiful. We hope to come back next year.

      Delete
  4. What a cool experience you're having! I wonder if you'll do it again, or if you'll find whole new adventures to explore next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, We're definitely going to do it again. We've loved being here. I will miss the nightly walks on the beach.

      Delete
  5. This place takes a bit of getting used to. I spend my time writing and reading and meeting with like-minded two, three times a month. Joining boards also keep a few of us busy with meetings and responsibilities; this is as close to having a routine as I care to accept. Anything else feels too much like work.

    Glad you enjoyed your stay. Good to meet you and your talented husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosaria, It was lovely to meet you and your husband and we've loved Port Orford...but what's not to love about our own private campground steps away from the beach! I think we're going to make this an annual event.

      Delete
  6. It’s always good to step outside of one’s comfort zone occasionally. Just to see if you are still able to cope and when you find you can, that gives your ego a great boost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I'm so glad we did this and we've built confidence up to look at different hosting opportunities. We plan to come back to Port Orford next year.

      Delete
  7. thanks for this post. This post makes a great point about focusing your efforts.
    Website development company in uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds perfect - getting a break for your routine and helping a very worthwhile charity :)
    Popping by on the A to Z Road Trip
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails