Wednesday, January 16, 2013

WTF Wednesday: Rude Awakening




WTF Wednesday is a semi-regular feature of this blog. It documents the things that have made me pause, slap my forehead and say "What the f**k!" Well, that and I just like saying WTF. I'm retired. I don't have to watch what I say anymore. I'm not any one's role model.

I'll be setting my alarm clock tomorrow.  I'm going to Texas to visit my grandchildren.  Since I retired the only time I use an alarm clock is when I'm traveling and need to catch an early plane.  I still work once in awhile as a substitute in the local school.  I choose those assignments carefully, covering for teachers in classes that I enjoy and know something about.  You won't find me in a middle school math class.  One of the benefits of retirement is that the only time schedule I have to meet is my own.  I wake up naturally, usually well after the sun has risen.  Yes, retirement is good.

So yesterday morning I was sound asleep.  At 5:30 A.M. it was pitch dark and the spouse and I were snug and cozy under our layers of down.  The phone shrilled and I groped to answer it...even though it's right next to my bed, it's not easy to find the phone in the dark when woken from a sound sleep.

"Hello, I am calling on behalf of your local school. If you are interested in a job, enter your secret code now."

Our school district uses an automated calling system to contact substitutes.  It's taken me quite awhile to learn my secret code, but after two years I can recall it instantly, but at just that moment the light that illuminates the digits on my phone goes out.  I frantically reach for the lamp next to the bed and flood the bedroom in harsh white light.  There's no question that I am now fully awake.  I enter the secret code and the robot voice says...

"I'm sorry.  The job I called you about is no longer available."

WTF????

18 comments:

  1. That used to happen to a friend who wanted to be a full time teacher, but was doing a lot of substitute teaching. She would start driving toward the school she had been subbing at for several days, hoping to be well along when the call came. Phone rings. Pull off the road to answer the robot. Too late, the job is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating and inconsiderate. Hope you got back to sleep quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, Nana, I'd have said *WTF* too at that point... (or if not said it, definitely thought it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously. WTF?

    PS: I like saying that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two things have the potential to start my day on the wrong foot, an alarm clock and a ringing phone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much for using the personal touch! Wow, I bet you were really mad. I would be. That is exactly why I don't want to sub. I don't want those early morning calls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always glad to hear you are going off to visit those grands, Jann. I would be pretty upset about that little bedside intrusion into my morning! You tell it well. -)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least you know it was not personal. There were possibly a few WTFs that morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Automated systems - aren't they just grand!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say the sub list is way too long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I would have tossed the phone across the room. Hope you were able to go back to sleep or at least take a nap later that day. How maddening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grrr...I for sure would have said WTF to this. I say it about anything that interrupts my sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Jann, yes, a truly WTF moment! I can so appreciate the fumbling around in the dark. I do that when I wake up during the night with the urge to go to the toilet! I hope you were able to get easily back to sleep.

    Jann, I've been away from reading and commenting on blogs for about six weeks. So if I've missed any of yours that you'd especially like me to read, please send the URLs in an e-mail to me or put them into the rectangular comment box on one of my two blogs. Thanks so much. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best part of being retired is when you get woken up like that, you still have pleanty of time to calm down and just go back to sleep...at least i do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there! Yeah, that would really be a WTF moment. It's like waiting for tickets that go on sale at a specific time and you go on line or call to order them exactly at that time and there is already a recording that the event is sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Benchmark 60" been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-sunday-drive.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. For crying out loud!
    Say it fast, with the emphasis on the F . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were robbed!
    Awakened, then robbed! Of a job!
    Truly. WTF?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails