Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lucky Numbers

One benefit of being retired is that I am freed from the clock. Although I have become something of a recluse, I do leave home occasionally. It’s a different world out there during traditional working hours. The locations that I previously could only visit after 5:00 or on weekends look different at 10:00 A.M. on a weekday.


Last Tuesday morning I went to Bi-Mart. Where did all the people come from? As I maneuvered my cart through the store, I noticed that the crowd was deeper in the laxative/Metamucil aisle. On closer inspection I realize that I was the youngest customer in the store. Apparently Tuesday is Lucky Number Day at Bi-Mart. If your membership number matches with numbers posted in the store, you can win valuable prizes like a box of Red Vine licorice or Hefty extra strength trash bags. A local senior residential center even brings a busload of residents every Tuesday to participate in the excitement.

I was just reading an article on the top 100 places to retire. None of the towns in the article featured a Lucky Number Day. Sure, those fancy places that made the list have public transportation and cultural events, but Hermiston has Lucky Number Day at Bi-Mart.

I went to Ross Dress For Less on Tuesday and it was like a retired teacher convention. I ran into three former co-workers who had retired. Turns out that seniors get an additional 10% discount on Tuesdays at Ross, and you only have to be 55 to qualify!

So in my quest to figure out retirement I have learned that retired people can’t pass up a bargain. As much as I love a discount, I like uncrowded stores more. I will wait until after 4:00 to head to Ross…I think that’s when all the seniors will head over to the early bird special at Granny’s Buffet.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for retirement...I haven't started my career yet and I'm already looking forward winding down (college is a job in itself lol). I already love bargains, so I think I'll be the perfect retirement candidate.
    Enjoy your retirement...(I'm so jealous lol)
    http://reallifetweets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails